Jon Turnquist

Jon Turnquist
Building Inspector

phone (914) 762-8419
fax (914) 290-4656

John-Paul Rodrigues Operations Center
Route 9A - P.O. Box 1166
Ossining, NY 10562

TheJohn-Paul Rodrigues Operations Centercan only be reached from theSouthboundlane of Route 9A and is between Route 134 and Route 133. The Town Building Department is on the second floor.

Building Department

The Town of Ossining Building Department has jurisdictiononlyin the Unincorporated Area of Ossining (outside the village limits). You must obtain an pdf Application for Building Permit (1.27 MB) for any new construction or alteration to any existing structure or residence (including swimming pools, decks, sheds and signs) on your property.



New York State requires a Building Permit whenever a roof is changed on a building, be it commercial or residential. If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office at 914-762-8419.

Construction that does not comply with the Town's Ordinance requires an application for a variance from theZoning Board of Appeals. Subdivisions and Site Plans require approval from theTown Planning Board.

Please visit the folder Town's Schedule of Fees for more information on permit fees. The following Permits may be obtained at the Building Department or, if available, on the folder Applications & Publications page.

pdf Application for Building Permit (1.27 MB)

pdf Affidavit of Final Cost of Construction (46 KB)

pdf Building Permit and CO Requirements (219 KB)

pdf Electrical Permit (30 KB)

pdf HVAC - Mechanical Permit Application (433 KB)

pdf Plumbing Permit (518 KB) - pdf Plumbing Certification (28 KB)

pdf Swimming Pool Info and Acceptance Form (2.54 MB)

pdf Tank Removal Permit (63 KB)

pdf Tree Removal Application & Permit (210 KB)

pdf Truss Notification 06-27-22 (190 KB)

Demolition Permit - apply in person

Blasting Permit - apply in person

Visit the Town Planning and Architectural Review Board for relevant documents.

Visit the Town Zoning Board for relevant downloads.

Important Reference Documents:
pdf NYS Law - Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors (28 KB)

pdf U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission - Carbon Monoxide Poisoning flyer (371 KB)

Altered Survey Notice

One of the questions we often get is “Can I draw on my homes survey when applying for a permit to build an addition/shed/deck/pool/generator?”
The answer is ‘No’. Or.. more precise. “We cannot accept a plan with a stamp that has been altered without a new stamp/signature with the wording ‘Altered By’ and date of alteration.”

New York State Education Law – Article 145-

Partial Excerpt:
No official of this state, or of any city, county, town or village therein, charged with the enforcement of laws, ordinances or regulations shall accept or approve any plans, specifications, or geologic drawings or reports that are not stamped:

To all plans, specifications, plats and reports to which the seal of a professional engineer or land surveyor has been applied, there shall also be applied a stamp with appropriate wording warning that it is a violation of this article for any person, unless he or she is acting under the direction of a licensed professional engineer or land surveyor, to alter an item in any way. If an item bearing the seal of an engineer or land surveyor is altered, the altering engineer or land surveyor shall affix to the item his or her seal and the notation "altered by" followed by his or her signature and the date of such alteration, and a specific description of the alteration.

Building Permit and CO

Requirements to Obtain A Building Permit and Certificate of Occupancy

Download and print the pdf Application for a Building Permit (1.27 MB) .

New York State requires a Building Permit whenever a roof is changed on a building, be it commercial or residential. If you have any questions please feel free to contact our office at 914-762-8419.

To file a Building Permit you must submit the following documentation:

  • A completed, signed and notarized Building Permit application, and the Building Permit  fee.
  • Three (3) copies of sealed and stamped plans by a New York State Licensed Design Professional for the work being performed.  If the project involves an enlargement of a structure or construction of a new structure (including an accessory structure), all zoning setbacks, required and actual, must be shown on the plans.
  • A copy of the property survey (if doing any type of enlargement to a structure or adding any Accessory Structure such as a Swimming Pool, Garage, Shed, etc.).  The new construction must be drawn, to scale, on the survey to show setback requirements are met.
  • Copy of the homeowners insurance policy (for any work other than a complete, new house) showing you have General Liability coverage.
  • Copy of the General Contractors’Westchester County Home Improvement Licenseas required by Westchester County, and the contractors Workman’s Compensation Insurance as required by New York State.Per New York State, Acord 25 Form is not acceptable proof of Workman’s Compensation Insurance.
    Note: If you are going to be the General Contractor you must supply a copy of your Workman’s Compensation Insurance unless you are doing the work yourself with no paid assistance by other persons. If that is the case, we have a Waiver form that you will fill out when submitting the application.
  • Code 53 number is required if any digging for footings/foundation with any type of powered tools.  The number is 1-800-962-7962.  They will advise you if there are any underground utility lines where you will be digging and supply you with a Code 53 reference number that you must write on the Building Permit application.

Required Inspections:
The following inspections areREQUIREDduring construction.  A Certificate of OccupancyWILL NOTbe issued if the inspections are not conducted.  It is the responsibility of theBuilding Permit Holderto insure the inspections are performed.  Not all inspections listed may be part of your construction (interior alteration may not require footings/foundation or you may not be doing any plumbing, for example), but you MUST get the inspections that pertain to your project:

  • Footings prior to pouring (when formed and with re-bar installed).
  • Foundation – before backfilling and after footing drains are installed, including weatherproofing.
  • Framing
  • Plumbing, Electrical and Insulation.
  • Final (when all work is completed)

Requirements To Obtain A Certificate Of Occupancy:

  • All required inspections as indicated above.
  • An As Built Survey if a new house or if required by this Office.
  • Documentation showing the electrical system passed final inspection by the New York Board of  Fire Underwriters.
  • All Planning Board conditions met if project involved Planning Board approval.
  • A signed and notarized “Final Cost” affidavit.

Download and print the pdf Application for a Building Permit (1.27 MB) .

Swimming Pool FAQs

Brief Summary of Alarm Requirements for Residential Swimming Pools:

Every swimming pool that is installed, constructed or substantially modified after December 14, 2006 must be equipped with an approved pool alarm which:

  • is capable of detecting a child entering the water and giving an audible alarm when it detects a child entering the water;
  • is audible poolside and at another location on the premises where the swimming pool is located;
  • is not an alarm device which is located on person(s) or which is dependent on device(s) located on person(s) for its proper operation.

A pool alarm must be capable of detecting entry into the water at any point on the surface of the swimming pool. If necessary to provide detection capability at every point on the surface of the swimming pool, more than one pool alarm must be installed.

Pool alarms are not required in:

  • a hot tub or spa equipped with a safety cover, or
  • any swimming pool (other than a hot tub or spa) equipped with an automatic power safety cover.

Specific Swimming Pool Alarm Requirements can be found in19NYCRR Part 1228or in the DOS document titled "Current Requirements for Swimming Pools contained in the Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code(The "Uniform Code")".

Do I Need A Building Permit To Install A Temporary Or Permanent Swimming Pool?
Yes. A Building Permit is needed if a swimming pool exceeds 24” in depth,even if it is a temporary, portable unit that you put up and take down each year. This includes above and in-ground pools, hot tubs, spas, and fixed in place wading pools.

What Information Do I Need To Obtain A Building Permit?

  • Completed Building Permit application.
  • Copy of your property survey showing the location of the proposed pool (may not be closer than 10’ to your property line and may only be in the rear or side yard).
  • Manufacturers specifications and drawings for the pool.
  • A copy of the Declarations Page of your homeowner’s insurance policy showing you have Liabilty coverage on the property.
  • Copy of your General Contractor’s Westchester County Home Improvement Contractors’ License along with a copy of his Workman’s Compensation Insurance police.
  • Name of your Westchester County licensed Electrician (this can also be supplied after permit is issued and before electrical work begins).  Your Electrician must file for a separate permit with this office before electrical work commences.
  • Code 53 number if required (for underground digging – Tel #800-962-7962).
  • Building Permit fee.

Do I Need To Install A Fence or Barrier (Enclosure) Around the Pool?
Yes. Pools greater than 24” and less than 48” in height require an enclosure. Enclosures must be 48” above grade measured on the side of the enclosure that faces away from the pool. The maximum gap from the enclosure to the ground cannot be greater than 2”, and if you put the enclosure on top of the pool the bottom of the enclosure cannot be greater than 4” from the top of the pool. Openings (spaces between pickets e.g.) cannot allow the passage of a 4” diameter sphere. Chain link fences used as an enclosure require a maximum mesh size of 2.25” squares.

Gates installed in the enclosure need a self closing and self-latching system and must open outward (away) from the pool. If the self-latching device is located less than 54” from the bottom of the fence it must be installed on the pool side of the gate at least 3” below the top of the gate, and there can be no openings (slats etc.) greater than ½” within 18” of the latching device.

Can I Use A Wall of My House As Part of the Enclosure?
Yes, but, if you use the house as one part of the fence or enclosure the following applies:

  • Doors that provide direct access to the pool through that wall must be equipped with an alarm that produces an audible warning when the door and its screen are opened.  The alarm must sound for a minimum of 30 seconds immediately after the door is opened and must be capable of being heard in all parts of the house during normal household activities.  The alarm must have a manual deactivation switch to temporarily deactivate the alarm for a single opening and the deactivation cannot last longer than 15 seconds.  The deactivation switch must be at least 54” above the threshold of the door.
  • The pool must be equipped with a power safety cover.

    The above conditions may be waived if other satisfactory means of protection are used that satisfy the intent of the Building Code.

Do I Need To Install A Fence or Barrier (Enclosure) Around the Pool During Construction?
Yes.  During the installation or construction of a swimming pool, such swimming pool shall be enclosed by a temporary enclosure which shall sufficiently prevent any access to the swimming pool by any person not engaged in the installation or construction of the swimming pool, and sufficiently provide for the safety of any such person.  Such temporary enclosure may consist of a temporary fence, a permanent fence, the wall of a permanent structure, any other structure, or any combination of the foregoing, provided all portions of the temporary enclosure shall be not less than four (4) feet high, and provided furtherthat all components of the temporary enclosure shall have been approved as sufficiently preventing access to the swimming pool by any person not engaged in the installation or construction of the swimming pool, and as sufficiently providing for the safety of all such persons.  Such temporary enclosure shall remain in place throughout the period of installation or construction of the swimming pool, and thereafter until the installation or construction of a complying permanent enclosure shall have been completed.  NOTE:  You have ninety days from the date of the building permit being issued to install the permanent enclosure,whether or not the pool itself is completed.

What About Pool Ladders?
Pool ladders or steps must be locked or secured to prevent access.  When the ladder or steps are locked, secured, or removed, any opening created shall not allow the passage of a 4” diameter sphere.

What About Alarms For The Pool?
All new swimming pools must have a pool alarm that sounds an alarm poolside and at another location on the premises where the swimming pool is located.  It must be capable of detecting a child entering the water and give an audible alarm when it detects a child entering the water.  The alarm must be installed and maintained per the manufacturer’s instructions and is classified by Underwriters Laboratory or another approved independent testing agency.

Note:The above rules are subject to change. Please contact our office for additional information as needed 762-8419.

Springtime Reminders

Springtime Reminders

Fences:In the Town of Ossining fences can be up to 6 ½ feet in height. It can be placed on the property line but is to be installed with the more attractive side facing neighboring properties.  Please use an accurate property survey as a guide for placement. No permit is required.

Sheds & Accessory Buildings:These must be placed no closer than 10 feet from the rear and side property lines in the back yard only.  Buildings that are put on a poured concrete slab require a permit.  Buildings that are larger than 140 square feet require a permit.

Swimming Pools:Please review our "Swimming Pool FAQ" above. Building Permits, Pool alarms and Fences equipped with proper locks are always required.

Dig Safely:If you plan to dig in your yard you must call “Dig Safely New York1-800-962-7962, there may be dangerous gas, water, or cable lines underground.  This is a free service provided by the State of New

Tree Permit Required:Please apply for your tree cutting permit at least 15 days prior to starting any tree removal work, as per Section 183-10D of the Town law . Use an accurate survey to help determine what trees belong to you.

Stormwater:Please report anything that looks like suds, oil, debris or foreign material flowing into our drainage systems and remember it is a violation to fill, obstruct, divert, change or alter the natural flow of waters or drainage systems.

Town Board Contacts

Town Supervisor:

Elizabeth R. Feldman
phone (914) 762-6001
fax (914) 762-0833

Board Members:

Jennifer Fields-Tawil
Angelo Manicchio
Gregory G. Meyer
Matthew Weiss

Town of Ossining's YouTube videosLike the Town on FacebookLike the Town on Facebook