- Last Updated: 28 April 2017 28 April 2017
The next meeting of the Zoning Board of Appeals of the Town of Ossining, will be held on:
Monday, May 1, 2017
Ossining Operations Center
101 Route 9A, 1st Floor Conference Room
Ossining, NY 10562
Town of Ossining Zoning Board Preliminary Agenda:
Please visit the Town Zoning Board Project page to view PDF copies of documents pertaining to the Agenda for May 1st, 2017.
- Last Updated: 26 April 2017 26 April 2017
This will be a short update, since we are preparing for the Cedar Lane Arts Center grand opening tonight! I do hope to see everyone there for some delicious food from Good Choice Kitchen, extra treats and paper goods courtesy of the Ossining Elks and the Greater Ossining Chamber of Commerce, great music by Mike and Miriam Risko, innovative artwork curated by the Ossining Arts Council, and a sneak peek at our new programming. The children's craft event will begin at 4PM, but be sure to arrive by 5:30PM to check out the facility and grab a bite before the ribbon cutting and celebration at 6PM.
Want to hear more about what will be happening inside the Arts Center? Instructors Keith Gordon and Cathy Carabee-Faiella joined us this week at our Town Hall Meeting and gave a quick overview of the programming that will begin shortly. Check out the pdf Recreation brochure (2.92 MB) to sign up for classes which start in May. We also put together a Powerpoint presentation to show all of the work our Parks crew has done on the building and the site-- pdf you can check that out here as well (9.26 MB) .
Town Board Regular Meeting/Public Hearing and Work Session- Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 at 16 Croton Avenue
- Last Updated: 26 April 2017 26 April 2017
Regular Meeting/ Public Hearing and Work Session
Tuesday, April 25th, 2017- 7:30PM
16 Croton Avenue, 1st Floor Board Room
Ossining NY 10562
Work Session- 7:30PM
- Review of Zoning Law- David Stolman, Frederick P. Clark
All Board Meetings are televised LIVE on GO-TV, on Channel 78. Taped shows are repeated every Thursday at 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. on Channels 78 and 18.
Watch the live webcast of Ossining Government Access Cablevision Channel 78 and Verizon Channel 43, including Town and Village Board Meetings, or stream them LIVE here.
- Last Updated: 21 April 2017 21 April 2017
On the afternoon of April 7th, 2017, I received a letter from Gloria Fried, our Receiver of Taxes, with some important news. After nearly 16 years of dedicated service as the Town of Ossining's elected Receiver of Taxes, Gloria shared with me that she does not plan to run for re-election, and that she will be resigning from her unexpired term effective June 30th, 2017. I know I speak for my colleagues on the Town Board, as well as the department heads and staff of the Town and Village of Ossining, when I say that we are incredibly grateful to Gloria for her dedication to the job that she loves, and I also know that Gloria will leave a legacy of integrity, progressive practices, and fair and honorable service.
However, Gloria's departure leaves us with a vacancy in an integral position for our Town, and we need to move quickly to prepare for this change in administration. While the Board will be accepting Gloria's resignation this coming Tuesday, the Town Board will start accepting applications to fill this vacancy immediately. Please note that this Town Board appointment is only until the end of the current term (July 1st through December 31st, 2017.) As the Receiver of Taxes is an elected position, whomever is elected by the residents of Ossining in November of 2017 will take office in January 2018; we are hopeful that whomever is appointed by the Town Board will be willing to run for the position later this year.
Please see the below announcement-- we will be sending this along to The Gazette and The Journal News as well. If you or someone you know is qualified and interested in this exciting opportunity, please follow the instructions to submit your resume and letter of interest in the next two weeks.
The Town is seeking applications to fill the unexpired term of the elected Receiver of Taxes from July 1 until the term expiration on December 31, 2017.
The job responsibilities of the position are as follows:
- Ensuring correct and timely collection of School, Town, County and Special District taxes: facilitation of bill file creation, production and verification of receipts and deposits, calculation of penalties, preparation of delinquent reports and administration of payment plans
- Working with residents, businesses, lenders and attorneys to effectively collect on warrants
- Preparing monthly reports of collection and outstanding balances
- Conducting annual foreclosure proceedings: running title searches to explore prior liens, preparing legal notices, calculating apportionment of proceeds including applicable penalties, attorney fees, etc.
- Conducting annual auctions of In Rem judgement properties: preparation of advertisements, computation of minimum bids, preparation of public notices and closing documents
- Computing refunds for tax certiorari claims
- Supervising maintenance of tax rolls and related records
- Supervision of Deputy Receiver of Taxes and/or clerical assistants
The successful candidate for the appointed term from July 1 through December 31, 2017 shall reflect at least the following minimum levels of training, experience and abilities:
- Graduation from high school of possession of a high school equivalency diploma either: (a) no fewer than ten (10) years of full-time financial record keeping experience OR (b) satisfactory completion of a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field and no fewer than six (6) years of full-time financial record keeping experience;
- Comprehensive knowledge of New York State Real Property Tax Law Articles 9 and 11, New York State Town Law, Westchester County Code Section 283 and the Ossining Town Code as it pertain to payment plans, financial record keeping standards in accordance with local government standards, and the geography of the Town of Ossining;
- Ability to explain and communicate effectively and transmit information accurately in English, both orally and in writing;
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel, word processing, and data processing is required.
Salary commensurate with experience.