- Last Updated: 23 March 2017 23 March 2017
We started the week off with a significant snowstorm, one of the biggest we've seen in awhile, and as always, the Town and Village crews did not disappoint. Although some estimates were calling for as much as two feet of the white stuff, we topped out at just over a foot in most places around Town with very little damage and fewer than 10 power outages. As such, we (the Town and Village) decided collectively not to call in a Con Ed liaison, and we managed all communication in house. I want to thank our Police Chief Kevin Sylvester and Police Lieutenant Jim Montague, along with the Village Administration and our Highway Foreman John Martin and his crew for their expertise and cooperation throughout this adventure.
- Last Updated: 17 March 2017 17 March 2017
The Town of Ossining is seeking applications for a Part-Time Intermediate Clerk in the Town Highway Department. This is a Civil Service position for a 17.5 hour work week.
Applicants must possess a high school or equivalency diploma; office experience is preferred. Click here for the Westchester County job description for the position. Ossining residents are especially encouraged to apply!
- Last Updated: 14 March 2017 14 March 2017
The snow is still coming down hard, but predictions are still all over the map as to how much accumulation we will have by day's end. Just a few reminders as we move through the morning hours:
- The Town and Village of Ossining called a Snow Emergency last night at 9PM, which remains in effect. Please stay off of the roads to allow our plows to clear them properly, and be sure to observe all Snow Emergency parking ordinances in the Village of Ossining.
- Town/Village Hall will be closed today (Tuesday, March 14th.)
- The Joseph G. Caputo Community Center will be open as a warming center from 6AM to 10PM until further notice.
- If you are a Suburban Carting customer with scheduled Tuesday pickup, you will instead have trash pickup tomorrow (Wednesday, March 15th), but depending on total accumulation, this may change. We will keep you updated.
- Metro North service will be suspended at 12 Noon today; check mta.info for morning schedules and more information.
- If you lose power, call 1-800-75-CONED to make a report. You should also call Con Ed, and the police, if you see a downed wire (911 for emergencies, (914) 941-4099 for non-emergencies.)
- When it comes time to clean up, take your time shoveling-- the snow may be light, but there will be an awful lot of it. Also, please do not clean off your car in the street, or shovel into the road-- besides making more work for your neighbors and our plows, it also makes the roads unsafe for emergency responders. If we all do our part, we will be back to normal in no time!
If you do head outside, email us your best snowman shot; he (or she) may make their way to the Town Facebook page!
- Last Updated: 13 March 2017 13 March 2017
We know you are all gearing up for the predicted Noreaster tomorrow, as is the Town. The most recent estimates show Ossining getting between 12 and 18 inches of snow over the next 36 hours. Based on that information, here is what you need to know for tomorrow:
- The Town is declaring a Snow Emergency effective 9PM today, March 13th, and the Village has done the same. Please do your best to stay off of the roads and be sure to observe all parking ordinances to allow for passage of emergency responders. Do not leave your car at the end of your driveway-- it impedes the ability of our plows to effectively remove the snow. Please consider adopting a hydrant to clear, if it is safe to do so. Many hands, light work!
- Town staffing will be limited to only essential storm personnel. We will be operating our Emergency Management from 86 Spring Street in conjunction with the Village. We expect to open normal hours on Wednesday, March 15th, but please check back for updates.
- The Town Court will be closed, including both sessions of Court (Criminal and Buildings.) If you are scheduled for either of these sessions, you will be mailed a notice informing you of your new court date.
- The Town Board meeting and all public hearings scheduled for Tuesday evening will be canceled-- the meeting's agenda will be added to the Work Session next Tuesday, March 21st.
- If you live in the Unincorporated Town and are serviced by Suburban Carting for your trash pickup, please be advised that there will be no pickups on Tuesday, March 14th-- if Tuesday is your scheduled day, the plan is to make your pickup on Wednesday, March 15th instead, but please stay tuned in case the volume of snow necessitates a change in plans.
- The Recreation Department is prepared to have the emergency shelter at the Community Center staffed and operational, should the need arise-- this will be decided on this evening or tomorrow morning.
As always, we always recommend that you prepare for the worst: keep flashlights and extra batteries at the ready, charge up your cell phones and laptops, and check in on elderly friends and neighbors. In the event of a power outage, call 1-800-75-CONED, or text "REG" to "OUTAGE" to make a report. You can also download the Con Ed app on your iPhone or Android smartphone to easily report outages and check on estimated restoration times-- you will need to have your account number handy to register with the app, so be sure to have it on hand to get set up. You can also use these services to report downed wires, which should also be reported to the police department.
We will be participating in a coordinated Emergency Management meeting today with Ossining first responders, a well as a Con Ed conference call later today, during which we will be requesting a Con Ed community liaison for the duration of the storm. We will keep you posted with any updates here and on the Town of Ossining Facebook page. Please check back regularly for more info.
Stay warm and safe!