The Town of Ossining is seeking a part-time Court Attendant to work in the Ossining Town Court. The successful applicant will work under the direction of the elected Town Justices and may perform tasks including, but not limited to, the following:
- Announces opening and closing of court and appearance of the presiding justice
- Announces the order of the court calendar
- Directs parties to court actions and visitors to the court to the appropriate destination
- Maintains order in the lobby and engages in scan and search of motorists before entering court room
- Acts as official court messenger
- Assists juries, witnesses and counsel where approprate
- Coordinates with police department personnel the arrival, appearance and departure of prisoners
- Attends to the needs of the presiding justice
- Closes court when directed and assumes security of facilities and equipment
The successful applicant also must have graduated from high school or posess a high school equivalency diploma and either a) two years of military service or b) two years if work experience, one year of which must have been in a public law enforcement environment. An Associate's or Bachelor's Degree in criminal justice, law enforcement or related field will subsitute for work experience cited above.
The successful applicant must also have familiarity with courtroom procedures, be able to maintain order in a courtroom, be able to exercise tact and remain composed when dealing with the public, litigants, and attorneys, be able to follow oral and written instructions, be able to qualify in the handling of firearms (where appropriate), be able to speak in a loud and clear voice, get along well with others, understand and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the essential duties of the position, and be physically capable of performing the above.
The Town of Ossining Employment Application is available pdf here (124 KB) , or at 16 Croton Avenue in the Office of the Town Clerk or in the Supervisor's Office. Please return completed applications to Maddi Zachacz in the Supervisor's Office at 16 Croton Avenue before Friday, October 6th, 2017.