- Last Updated: 25 January 2018 25 January 2018
TOWN HIGHWAY DEPARTMENT
(FULL TIME, CIVIL SERVICE LABOR CLASS)
Under direct supervision of the Superintendent of Highways, an employee in this class performs routine unskilled manual laboring work. Supervision is not a responsibility of this position.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative Only)
- Performs routine cleaning, maintenance and repair assignments;
- Loads and unloads materials, and equipment from trucks;
- Receives and/or moves supplies, equipment, and furniture;
- Cleans and operates equipment supplies and instruments in accordance with defined procedures;
- Rods and flushes sewers and cleans manholes and catch basins;
- Digs and refills trenches for water lines;
- Rakes leaves and hauls away rubbish;
- Does rough cement finishing, rakes asphalt, sets forms for asphalt, does rough grading and otherwise assists in street maintenance activities;
- Assists in the painting and erection of street signs;
- Assists in painting lines on highway;
- Cuts grass by hand or with tractor driven mowing machines and cuts up trees that have been felled;
- Performs snow removal duties;
- May perform other incidental tasks as needed.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND ATTRIBUTES: Ability to follow oral instructions; ability to get along well with others; ability to read, write, speak, understand and communicate in English sufficiently to perform the essential duties of the position; industrious in work performance; physical strength and agility; ability to undergo continuous physical exertion; physical condition commensurate with the duties of the position. NYS Driver’s License; CDL preferred.