OSSINING TOWN COURT
The Town of Ossining is seeking to fill one year of the unexpired term of Town Justice. The salary for this part-time position is $48,839.
Ossining Town Justice is an elected position and is therefore subject to a special election in the 2020 General Election. The winner of the special election will fill this office beginning January 1, 2021.
All those who wish to be considered should contact Maddi Zachacz, in writing, expressing interest in the position
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: Conducts sessions of the Justice Court; hears cases and renders decisions; does related work as required. The Town Justice is responsible to the electorate for carrying out the functions of his/her office as defined by Town Law.
EXAMPLES OF WORK: (Illustrative Only)
- Conducts court sessions, and hears civil and criminal cases brought before the Justice Court;
- Holds arraignments, executes information, and issues warrants for arrest;
- Instructs juries;
- Renders decisions in non-jury cases;
- Sentences criminals, imposes fines, etc.;
- Maintains order in the courtroom at all times;
- Supervises the administrative, stenographic and clerical work performed by the courts’ clerical staff.
DESIRED ACCEPTABLE TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE: License to practice law in the State of New York and five (5) years of experience in the practice of civil/criminal law.