- Last Updated: 06 July 2015 06 July 2015
Town Hall Meeting
March 31st, 2015 - 7:30 PM
Are You Prepared for a Disaster?
EMPOWER yourself and others.Take the Red Cross training to Prepare, Respond, and Recover. What to do when a disaster strikes.
Join the American Red Cross for a FREE community preparedness presentation! All are welcome. Begins at 7:30 in the Library Auditorium.
The American Red Cross has partnered with New York State to bring information sessions to you and your community to increase awareness on how to prepare and respond when disaster strikes. Reduce your stress and uncertainty by learning preparedness strategies for you and your household.
After the session on Emergency Preparedness, we will also be discussing the Solarize Ossining-Briarcliff program and how you can learn more!
We are so proud of our community. The collaboration between the municipalities and the schools is often the envy of other Towns/Villages. As we share one School District between the Unincorporated Area and the Villages of Ossining and much of Briarcliff Manor (not to mention parts of New Castle and Yorktown), our young people are exposed to many exciting opportunities and programs.
Ossining was named Best Community for Music Education for the 5th year in a row!
Some other highlights from our outstanding students:
- Nathan Holzberg accepted into the NYSSMA Conference All-State Wind Ensemble
- Boris Morocho accepted as an Alternate for the NYSSMA Conference All-State Chorus
- Nathan Holzberg, Elizabeth Keeley, John Kim, Lior Raz-Farley and Cen Chen were accepted to perform with the Area All-State Orchestra
- Boris Morocho was accepted to perform with the Area All-State Chorus
- AMD student Bonnie Lin was accepted to the Elementary All-County Orchestra
- 8 OHS Students have had artwork selected for the Pace University Small Works Invitational Art Show 40 AMD Band and Orchestra Students selected to participate in the Rivertowns Honor Band and Orchestra Festival
- Maxine Charles, Samantha Boucher and Zoey Supina Had their artwork selected for the Concordia College StART Exhibit
- Zoey Supina was awarded a Certificate of Excellence from the StART exhibit at Concordia College for her artwork
- 8 OHS Drama students participated in the NYS Theater Educators Association Conference Teachers Mr. Quiroga and Mr. Whitehead selected to present at the NYS Art Teacher's Association Conference
- AMD Student Federico Gullon won the Ossining Lions Club Peace Poster Contest
- OHS Orchestra received the “Friends of Music” Partner Grant to bring in a professional String Quartet to work with OHS Students
- OHS Students Melissa Twomey and Zoey Supina took 1st place at the Village of Ossining Chalk-It-Up Festiva
Congratulations to Ossining High School student
Working off the theme “Our Ossining”, her design was selected by a panel of judges as the winner of the 2015 Ossining Waterfront Art Mural Contest.
In recognition of this achievement, she will be awarded an official Town Proclamation, and will have her mural design painted in Louis Engel Park. Jasmine’s work will be recreated on the Comfort Station wall, facing the waterfront, by students and faculty from Ossining High School, with completion of the painting scheduled for late spring.
There were many outstanding entries, and in recognition of their efforts, all of their entries will be on display as well.
The Ossining Waterfront Art Mural Contest is part of a beautification effort by the Ossining Waterfront Vision Committee, and was sponsored in conjunction with the Town of Ossining Town Board, the Village of Ossining Board of Trustees, the Ossining Union Free School District, and the Green Ossining Committee, and the Ossining Arts Council. We would also like to thank Ossining’s very own Wallauer’s Design Center and Melrose Lumber for their support of this project.
Mural Contest Winner
Jasmine Mason.11th Grade
In addition, AMD Students Xia Xia Saavedra and Leah Barcelo were chosen as winners of the first annual Green Ossining Earth Day poster contest. Working off the theme “Solar Power/Solarize Ossining” their works were selected to be recreated as posters that will be placed on display at Engel Park beginning on Earth Day 2015 (April 18th, 2015). Congratulations to all of our participants.
First place Solar Poster Contest
XiaXia Saavedra 6th Grade
Second Place Solar Poster Contest
Leah Barcelo 6th Grade
Exciting Times for Ossining High School Varsity Girls Basketball
Here are some highlights/stats from Dan Ricci.
- Our team is now 23-2 and this is the 3rd consecutive Class AA State Championship tying a NYS record for Class AA.
- Senior Jalay Knowles was the tournament MVP. In the semi-finals she had 25 points and 18 rebounds and in the Championship game she had 45 points and 16 rebounds.
- Junior Shadeen Samuels was named to the All Tournament Team. She had 13 points and 7 rebounds in the semi-finals and 19 points and 7 rebounds in the Championship Game. She also scored her 1000th career point in the Championship Game
- Senior Stefanie Svoboda was named as our Sportsmanship Award winner.
Happenings Here and Around Westchester
(mark your calendar NOW)
Extravaganza will be Saturday March 28 at 10AM and 12PM at the Joseph G. Caputo Community Center due to the weather and the soggy state of the fields. There will be lots of music and eggs for all, brought to you by the Ossining Department of Parks and Recreation.
You are cordially invited to attend the Hispanic Affairs Task Force of the Westchester County Board of Legislators Community Outreach &
Legislator, 9th District
Member, Hispanic Affairs Task Force
Saturday, March 28th
from 10:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Claremont Elementary School
2 Claremont Road
Ossining, New York 10562
Informative morning and small resource fair.
COMMUNITY SERVICES FROM
WESTCHESTER COUNTY WILL BE
AVAILABLE TO MEET YOUR NEEDS:
- county health department
- County Social Services Department (tentative)
- County Clerk’s office
- the Westchester Hispanic coalition
- Latino u college access
- Village and Town representatives
- Hudson Health plan
- Open Door Family Medical Centers
For More Information Contact:
Yolanda Valencia, Committee Coordinator Hispanic Affairs Task Force
Westchester County Board of Legislators
148 Martine Ave., 8th Floor,
White Plains, NY 10601
Phone: (914) 995-2016
The Power of a Father’s Presence:
Challenges and Victories in Supporting Dads
New York Fathering Conference
Tuesday, April 7, 2015 - 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Registration/Continental Breakfast at 7:30 a.m. – Opening Remarks at 8:30 a.m.
Westchester County Center, White Plains, New York
TO IMPROVE SERVICES AND PROGRAMS FOR FATHERS, AND TO SUPPORT AND EDUCATE FATHERS.
KEYNOTE SPEAKER: Mr. Tony Porter, Co-Founder, A Call to Men
Here’s a sample of session topics:
Overcoming Barriers to Employment, Fathers & Sons, Men’s Health, Fathers & Domestic Violence, Handling Conflict, Child Support, Fathers & Daughters and more!
Register by Friday, March 27, 2015 at
$35 NON-REFUNDABLE REGISTRATION FEE INCLUDES CONTINENTAL BREAKFAST & LUNCH.