Thank you to everyone who joined the Ossining Community Equity Task Force on Tuesday, December 7 for The New Giving Tuesday, a day of learning about organ and tissue donation. We heard from local leaders, experts and local residents whose lives have been impacted by these lifesaving gifts; you can watch the interviews and other content using the links below or on the Community Equity Task Force page.
- Watch the press conference, in which Town Supervisor Dana Levenberg, Ossining Village Trustee Omar Lopez, Brookside School Principal Ann Dealy, local resident Tevin Gillespie, representatives from State Sen. Elijah Reichlin-Melnick and Assemblywoman Sandra Galef's offices, and Scott Wohl from LiveOnNY speak about the importance of organ donation.
- Watch this interview with Town Supervisor Dana Levenberg and Dr. Jayne Lieb, Chief of Surgery at New York-Presbyterian Hudson Valley hospital, who shared facts and dispelled common myths about organ and tissue donation.
- Equity Task Force co-chair Althema Goodson spoke with local resident Tevin Gillespie who has received two kidney transplants about his experiences. Watch the interview here.
- Task Force administrator Acacia Mauriello spoke with local residents Alan and Sondra Haywood about Alan's experiences leading up to and after his heart transplant. Watch the interview here.
- Local resident Interior Watson, who is currently waiting for an organ, discussed her health issues and a message for viewers with Task Force co-chair Althema Goodson. Watch their conversation here.
- LiveOn New York convened a group of experts earlier this year to talk about what it will take to bring about equity in organ and tissue transplantation. Watch that panel here.
- Learn more about bone marrow donation: the basics, corrections to common misconceptions, and the role of race and ethnicity in matching recipients with bone marrow donors.
What better time than the season of giving to plan a life-saving gift? Here's how you can sign up to make a difference in the lives of others, including people right here in Ossining:
- Register to be an organ and tissue donor, if you haven't already! Click here to complete the registration online. If you have questions about the process, view the conversations above or visit LiveOn New York's website to learn more.
- Click here to start the process of joining the bone marrow donor registry.
- We were unable to have the New York Blood Center join us for today's event, but you can click here to learn more about blood donation eligibility and find local opportunities to donate blood.
Thanks again to everyone who spoke today, to all who watched and shared, and especially to those who will go on to register as donors. The importance of your gift cannot be overstated!