- Category: Town Departments
- Last Updated on Tuesday, 24 December 2013 11:24
|Henry Atterbury, Superintendent
phone (914) 941-3189
fax (914) 941-3189
Joseph G. Caputo Community Center
Office hours for the Parks & Recreation Department are
Program registration for Spring programs begins on Tuesday Apri 12th for online and in person starting Monday April 8th from 9am to 9pm at the Joseph G. Caputo Community Center unless otherwise noted.
Registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration after the above dates will be taken Mondays from 9am to 3pm, Tuesday to Friday from 9am to 9pm and on Saturdays from 9am to 2pm. Fees are listed with each program. Checks or money orders should be made payable to the Ossining Recreation Department or as otherwise specified in the program description. NO CASH ACCEPTED. Some class sizes are limited, so please register early. Ossining Senior citizens get a 10% discount. Non-residents, including seniors, may have a non-resident fee.
A current Ossining Recreation Department ID card is required to register for all programs with one parent and one child for youth programs (under 16) having ID Cards. This is now an annual fee and ID cards must be renewed yearly, no exceptions. Village of Ossining residents will be $3 and Non-residents $30 (outside the Village of Ossining). For those within the Town of Ossining the ID card allows you entry into open swim times at the pool at no additional charge. For those outside of the Town there is an additional non resident program fee for all programs including open swim and tennis.
Online Registration! Active Net lets you register for programs online.
Parks & Recreation Programs:
The Ossining Community Center, 95 Broadway, provides programs for senior citizens and pre-schoolers in the mornings and early afternoon, after school and summer programs for children, and adult evening programs such as social dance, yoga, and aerobics. Every Saturday and Sunday evening there is open gym and basketball. Contact the recreation office for a seasonal calendar of programs and registration information.
The Parks & Recreation Department also works closely with the Ossining Boat & Canoe Club, committed to continuing our role on the waterfront as a living interface between the Ossining community and the Hudson River, one of our country's great natural resources.
The Ossining Community Sailing Club is a community based non-profit organization. Our principal goals are to promote recreational sailing by making it more accessible, affordable and convenient, and to provide sailing-related educational services to the Ossining Community.
- Ossining Heritage Area
The Ossining Urban Park Visitors Center is located at the Joseph G. Caputo Community Center, 95 Broadway, Ossining. The center provides life- size exhibits on Sing Sing Prison and the Old Croton Aqueduct. Ossining is one of fifteen areas in New York State to be included in this unique program designed to preserve the State's heritage and use historic, educational and recreational tools for economic development. Free admission.
- Ossining Arts Council Gallery - For information call (914) 762-8150.
Current exhibits are being displayed at points around Ossining by the “Ossining Arts Council”. This display changes monthly.
Parks: The Town of Ossining maintains over 130 acres of parkland.
- Ryder Park - Morningside Drive - soccer/football, fitness trail, horseshoe pits, pavillions, tennis courts, basketball courts, ballfields, playground, picnic area, rest rooms.
- Gerlach Park - Old Albany Post Road - horseshoe pits, pavillions, hiking/nature study, ballfields, playground, picnic area, rest rooms.
- Veterans Park - Narragansett Avenue - soccer/football, horseshoe pits, fishing, bocce courts, basketball courts, ballfields, playground, picnic area, rest rooms, roller hockey rink.
- Louis Engel Waterfront Park - adjacent to RR station parking lot - sunning beach, fishing, playground, picnic area, rest rooms.
- Buck Johnson Park - Blue Lantern Road - basketball courts, playground.
- Cedar Lane Park - Cedar Lane - fitness trail, basketball courts, fishing, picnic area, restrooms, soccer field.
*Please note that you must have a New York State license to fish at a town park. Contact the Town Clerk's Office for licensing information.
For questions or further information about any of the programs and services offered, please call the Parks & Recreation Department Monday - Friday, 9:00 am - 9:00 pm.
Ossining department of parks and recreation announces a USTA Tennis Program for children and teens, ages 9-17.
Register at Joseph G. Caputo Communithy Center, Tuesday through Friday from 9am to 9pm.
Sessions begin the week of 7/9 and end the week of 8/31:
Friday 5:30-6:30PM - Ages 11-16
Monday 4:00-5:00PM - Ages 9- 11
Monday 5:00-6:00PM - Ages 12-16
Thursday 4:00-5:00PM - Ages 9-12
Thursday 5:00-6:00PM - Ages 12-16
Dates: Weeks of July 9th – August 31
Fees: $50.00 for 8 week session.
Site: Nelson Park Tennis Courts.
Fee includes free USTA membership
Racquets provided – participants must wear sneakers.
All instructors are USPTA/USPTR certified or USTA clinicians.
Funded in part by NYS Parks and Recreation and the United States Tennis Association.
COMMUNITY GARDENERS WANTED IN OSSINING
Town and Village of Ossining residents are invited to participate
in the Ossining Organic Community Garden.
The garden located in beautiful Cedar Lane Park, with raised and ground level garden beds, native perennial & edible flower gardens, mulch, leaf compost, drainage, standpipes & deer fencing.
Gardeners should expect an average of 4 to 5 hours of work weekly towards the maintenance & upkeep of their plot & the community garden.
- All gardeners will be required to sign a contract of rules & deadlines to ensure a pleasurable working environment for all.
- Beginner gardeners are encouraged to share their plot with a friend.
- Applicants younger than 18 years old are required to sign up with an adult who will accompany & assist them with their garden.
- Raised garden beds are available for gardeners with limited mobility.
Costs: $10 for single raised bed, $20 for double raised bed.
A current Ossining Parks & Recreation ID card is required. ($4 ID cards for the garden only will also be available)
Payment is due upon receipt of plot assignment.
Download the flyer here...
To sign up and for more information or application please contact:
Ossining Recreation and Parks
Joseph G. Caputo Community Center
95 Broadway, Ossining, NY 10562 (914) 941-3189